Friday, March 30, 2012

Don’t have a wishbone where your backbone should be!



"Self-discipline is an act of cultivation.
It requires you to connect today's actions to tomorrow's results.
There's a season for sowing a season for reaping.
Self-discipline helps you know which is which."

There is an old story about a man who went to a tattooist because he had always wanted a tattoo of a lion on his back. The tattooist started to sketch the tail into the man’s torso: ‘Ouch! What are you doing?’ asked the man. ‘I’m doing the lion’s tail’ replied the tattooist. ‘Well then for goodness sake let’s have a lion without a tail!’ said the man, wincing in pain. Next the artist set about on the Lion’s whiskers. ‘Ouch!’ cried the man, ‘What’s that?’ ‘The whiskers!’ said the tattooist, getting increasingly irritated. ‘Well let’s have a lion without whiskers!’ moaned his customer. The tattooist then set about doing the Lion’s back. ‘No that hurts too!’ shouted the man. At this, the tattooist finally lost patience with the man's lack of self-discipline. Throwing down his tools and the man out of his shop he shouted, ‘How can you expect to get what you want without a little discomfort?’

~~~~~~~~~

To do or achieve what’s good for you and your family will involve self-discipline to take us out of the comfort zone into a time period and area of growth until we reach a new level of success which then becomes our new normal comfort zone. There are certain things in one’s life that are too late to correct; what we think cute and nice today will soon become incorrigible for our children’s future.  Going backwards will then become uncomfortable for everyone.

Develop the muscle of self-discipline

Like anything, if you practice self-discipline, you exercise the muscle so that it becomes stronger. If we go through life doing only what we want, when we want, and not doing anything we do not feel like doing, you can imagine how easy it would be to degenerate. Some prefer doing things under the wrap; cheating oneself is bad.  Nobody actually wants to empty the rubbish or clean out their car or give up time to learn new skills but think of the consequences if no one made an effort.

Personally, I feel satisfied when I have cleared out some clutter or some other boring task.

We live in an age where everything is made to look easy. Think of those exercise workouts on the Californian beach with everyone moving effortlessly with a permanent smile on their face. My 30 minutes on a treadmill three times a week in my local gym is not so glamorous and neither do I grin all the way through but I go out in the rain, listen to get-up-and-go music, get hot and sweaty and feel good for making the effort. The result shows slowly but surely. It takes self-discipline.  You don’t want to regret later when it matters most.  

I hope it make sense!

2 comments:

  1. I think you captured the very essential aspect of human lives - 'indriya nigraham'. I'm trying to bring discipline to some aspects of my life, but as you said, it's definitely not easy. But I hope the dots would connect in future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Develop the muscle of self-discipline" this punch line really motivates me!

    ReplyDelete